Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Email of 27 May 2009

Hola mi familia y amigos!!!

Another week, come and gone, and here I am, back in the MTC laundry room, listening to the Mo-Tab and BYU Men's choir as I email you on a beautiful Wednesday at the MTC! I love P-days! I love getting to go to the temple, I love having a chance to write home, I LOVE seeing all the new missionaries coming in all day! Last week, one of my really good friends (Davon Larsen) from BYU-Idaho got here, and it's been so fun to see him as a missionary! Also, as we were walking to lunch last week, out of the total blue I heard someone "SALLIE!?!" And when I looked up, it was Krista Garbett! Her fiance's younger brother was coming into the MTC, and she was there with their family to drop him off. How random, but how fun to see her and talk for a few minutes! I think Heavenly Father knew that I needed a familiar face that day...my comp, being from Provo, seems to know EVERYONE! She has several friends who work here as teachers and such, so she's always seeing someone she knows and loves, which has occasionally been a little tough for me. But it's ok! Don't even worry about me--I am here doing the Lord's work, and I'm happy and doing great! I can't tell you how excited I was yesterday evening to get 6 - SIX!!!! - Dearelders!!! And then two new emails this morning! Thank you all so much for your love and support!

It's absolutely amazing to me how incredibly spiritually fed I am here! I've been reading the conference Ensign lately, and just love reading the words of our Prophet and apostles! One that I read this week was Pres Uchtdorf's talk in the Sun. am session - " The Way of the Disciple." SO GOOD! I have highlighting all the way through it, but I want to share a few of my favorite quotes. The section "The Path of Patience" is an awesome part; great for any who are struggling to "taste the fruit" despite doing the right thing. Elder Uchtdof also says, "Now is the time" several times throughout; I love when he says, "One of the great blessings of living the gospel is that it refines us and helps us learn from our mistakes. We 'all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God,' yet the Atonement of Jesus Christ has the power to make us whole when we repent." Then he quotes Elder Wirthlin in saying, "Oh, it is wonderful to know that our Heavenly Father loves us--even with all our flaws!"

That actually reminds us of the Sunday night fireside, and devotional last night that we had. Brother Stephen Allen, the managing director of the church's missionary dept came on Sunday and spoke to us. He's been a mission pres before, and shared some of the insights that's he's had into the Lord's love for His children in that calling. He expressed that the Lord absolutely LOVES all of His children far more than we can even begin to comprehend, even the disobedient ones!

Then last night, Elder Douglas L. Callister came for devotional and spoke about the Savior and His Atonement. It was incredible! He had no notes, no teleprompters, NOTHING! But he spoke with such power and fluidity, quoting prophets and scriptures word for word. It was so powerful and just wonderful. He reminded us of our purpose, which is to invite and help others come unto Christ. He, Jesus Christ is the center of our church, gospel, and message to the world. Who He is is the most important thing that we can come to learn, understand, and testify of in this life! He said that the great message of the Atonement is that we can truly be completely clean through it! Through the Atonement, there is no hole left in the board, and it's as if, spiritually at least, time itself has been reversed. Through the Atonement, we are clean! What an amazing, powerful message!

I've also had the opportunity to see two talks from Elder Holland this week, and may I just tell you, that man is POWERFUL when he talks to/about missionaries and missionary work! The first talk was entitled "The Miracle of a Mission," or "Don't You Dare Go Home," and was given here a few years ago. The second was "A Mission is Forever," and was equally as powerful and incredible! They both give me such motivation to "pledge heroic effort" in this work, and to be and become the absolute, very best that I can! A-MAZING!!

Well, time's about gone...I'll be sending at least one snail mail letter this week, hopefully even with pictures in it!

I Love you all so much!!!

I LOVE BEING A MISSIONARY!!!!!

Hermana Sallie Wilson

No comments:

Post a Comment