Tuesday, July 20, 2010

email of July 19 2010

Hello, Hello, Hello!

Another transfer, almost gone! Transfers are this Wednesday, and everyone's curious to see what happens, especially since we have a new president. I'm not expecting much; actually, I'm not expecting anything. I'm pretty sure that I'll be staying here in Torrance with Sis. Molina for at least one more transfer, since I've only been here two, and we've only been together one. But who knows, maybe there are other plans for me! I'm happy either way -- the Lord's hand is always in it, and He'll put me where He needs me. I do hope that I get to serve in a spanish area before I go home though! Even with a native companion, the language skills dwindle when you don't speak it much.

Speaking of native companions and language skills though, I don't know if I ever mentioned this when I was with Sis. Tavares, but having a native companion really makes you examine your own native speech! I discovered very quickly at the beginning of the transfer that I say "gotcha" a lot...or at least I used to; I've cut back since I hear a little echo of myself with a spanish accent every time I say it. Apparently I add "ya," or rather, "cha" to the end of lots of my words...gotcha, nice to meetcha, good to see ya, how are ya, etc, etc, etc. So I thought it was pretty funny this last week when my email from Mom began with: "How in the world are ya?!"

This week Sister Molina also learned the phrase "Speak of the devil!" as well as the word "bummer." I now realize how often I use those words/phrases as well :)

We've been on bike for almost 2 weeks now, and it's going well! For about the first week, I was tireder (is that a word?) than I think I ever have been in my life, but it's all good! We're getting more and more used to it everyday, and for the most part are really enjoying ourselves. This week has been super hot though, so thank goodness you get a good breeze when you ride a bike!

I finally finished Alma this week! That's kind of sad because I LOVE reading Alma, but really exciting too because I LOVE what comes after Alma! I started in on Helaman this morning, and came across a favorite scripture -- Hel. 3:35. In my very first Zone Conference, the APs shared this in their training, and it was such a blessing to me then, so it was really good to read it again today! When I shared it with my companion during comp study, she called it "the process of sanctification," (she also referred to Moroni 10:32) which I LOVE! I hadn't thought of it like that until she said that, but it's so true. It's through fasting and praying often, and yeilding our whole souls unto God that we are fully sanctified and truly made His. I still need to ponder on it a little bit, but I think this is so much how we are able to really apply the Atonement in our lives. Aren't the scriptures and the Lord awesome?!?!

I often have to remind myself to be patient as we are all progressing at different rates, and are all at different spots on our path to perfection and the Celestial Kingdom. Sometimes I wish people could just get it and know everything that I know!!! Then I have to remind myself that I've been at this for 24 years now, and am still learning myself! Other times I have to be patient with myself, as I find myself just wanting to be perfect right now so that I can start applying all the knowledge and perfection to my everyday life and tasks! Oh, the mortal life :) I'm grateful for the patience of our Heavenly Father, and for His perfect understanding, and especially for the Atonement that helps us all along our way!

I hope that you all have a WONDERFUL week!!! You're in my prayers always, even if they're the ones where I'm falling asleep ;)

The Church is true, and I LOVE YOU!!!!!

I Love Being A Missionary!

HURRAH FOR ISRAEL!!!!!!!!!

Love,
Hermana Sallie

No comments:

Post a Comment