Monday, June 28, 2010

email for 28 June 2010

Dear Family!!!

I'm glad you got the card and pictures, and that you've enjoyed the pictures :) The videos of Saroj and Mohini are my favorite! I'm going to try to attach a few pictures onto this email from last week (it didn't work last week); some from the temple, and a couple from our district bowling last week.



Mom, thank you SO much for the little package you sent me! David, I now happily sport LDSBC every morning playing soccer with the Elders :) The article you sent was so great -- really what I've been needing. Something funny: when I first opened up and pulled out your letter(s), I was thinking, "Wow, Mom, that's a lot!" So I flipped through to the back really briefly to see if it was all letter, or if there was other stuff in there too. Well, the first end of a letter that I got to was your primary letter, only I didn't realize that and just thought that it was the last page of my letter! I was so confused because it was signed "Sister Wilson". I thought, "What? Why did she sign her letter 'Sister Wilson,' and nothing else -- not even a 'HURRAH FOR ISRAEL!'? Maybe it's because I'm Hermana Wilson, and she wanted to sign it Sister Wilson...?" I was so confused, and a little sad thinking that you hadn't even signed it, MOM! But then, after I actually read it, I figured it all out, and laughed at myself for the confusion! Thanks for being such a great mom, and for being in tune with the Spirit to help your little missionary in LA!

To share a little from my journal this week, as to why that article and your letters are such a blessing, "The article [Mom sent me] is exactly what I need...it's about our short-sided, inadequate striving for perfection, and our great need for the Atonement. I have discovered since being on my mission that I am very much a perfectionist, and nowhere near perfect. The thing is though, before my mission, I knew I wasn't perfect, but I could fake it pretty well. However, here in the mission, my flaws and short-comings are ever before me, and being within sight and hearing of a companion 25/7, I've found that my short-comings and imperfections are in view of her too. I remember once, when I was with Sister Tavares, having a breakdown over her trying to practice Spanish door approaches with me; I don't remember all that happened or was said, but I do remember saying to her through my tears, "I guess it's because I'm not perfect." And then that loving mission- and life-changing phrase [from Hna T]: "Hermana, you don't have to be perfect in order for someone to love you." So here I am, almost a year later, having learned and grown so much since then, but still often struggling with feelings of weakness and inadequacy. Especially over the last transfer (#8), I have often felt bombarded and overwhelmed by my inadequacy. I cannot say how grateful I am to have had Sis Tittle as my companion! She was ever loving, encouraging, and complimentary of me -- who I am, what I do, etc -- Anyways, I haven't felt so down as of late, but I wanted to get this down because it's an experience that I've learned and grown much from." So yeah, Mom, the article was great for me! Thanks!!

Zone Conference this week -- Pres and Sister Blackburn's last one! It was wonderful -- bittersweet, but really, really wonderful! They had permission to hug all the missionaries, Elders and Sisters, which was soooo nice! When President announced it, he said "..and when you come back into the chapel from lunch, Sister Blackburn and I will be standing at the door, and we want to greet you all -- with a hug. Yes, Elders, you now have permission to hug Sis. Blackburn; you don't have to, if that's too uncomfortable or you just don't want to, but you can if you'd like; and Sisters, I'm going to hug each one of you, like it or not!" So I got to hug President!!! The whole ZC was wonderful; I found myself being taught some really great things by the Spirit that I needed; mostly about working with members, but also for my own sense and feeling of working hard enough/being good enough...I don't know if that makes sense or not to you, but it was just what I needed. Anyways, so today is the Blackburn's last full day in LA -- they leave tomorrow, and the Baker's come in! I'm excited for the change and to see what all happens; we'll have interviews with the new president next week, and I'm really looking forward to meeting and getting to know him.

I got Carrie's wedding announcement this week! Oh my goodness, I can't believe she's getting married!!!! I'm really happy for her, but good grief -- that announcement made me momentarily trunkier than I think anything else I've received during my mission! I'm so bummed that she's going to go off and get married WITHOUT ME THERE!!!!!, but then apparently life goes on, even when you're on a mission...at least she'll be able to be there when I get married! Love you tons Carrie -- best wishes!!!!

We're kind of in a "finding" phase right now...not a lot of progressing investigators we're working with right now, so any and all prayers you could offer in that regard would be GREAT!!! Thanks!!!

Oh, and one more thing -- a quote that has helped me a lot lately: "My dear brothers and sister, don't get discouraged if you stumble at times. Don't feel downcast or despair if you don't feel worthy to be a disciple of Christ at all times. The first step to walking in righteousness is simply to try. We must try to believe. Try to learn of God: read the scriptures; study the words of His latter-day prophets, choose to listen to the Father, and do the things He asks of us. Try and keep on trying until that which seems difficult becomes possible, and that which seems only possible becomes habit and a real part of you." E. Uchtdorf

I LOVE YOU!!!!!!

I ♥ being a missionary ☺

Love, Hermana Sallie

HURRAH FOR ISRAEL!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment